Interesting People mailing list archives

WH Cyberspace Security Review (PDF)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 18:43:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: May 31, 2009 2:43:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] WH Cyberspace Security Review (PDF)

Karl makes a series of very important points here. Perhaps the single biggest point is that "security" has become an incredibly narrow word - focused on flaws (coding bugs and exploits), impenetrability, and "rulesets".

To me, the ordinary English meaning of security is "safety". Safety cannot be assured by reducing security to a proof (proof of a negative, even worse). Safety includes resiliency, robustness, predictability, and transparency.

I blame the lack of security in our systems directly on the community who directs "computer security" research. It's a broad community, but a very inbred one.

Unfortunately, the people being put in charge of improving things in the "cyber" world are the same community who got us into this mess by defining the wrong problem as the crucial problem. And worse, they are pursuing most of the work in highly classified programs, where their bad definition of the problem cannot be questioned.

And as we see today in the NYTimes, it's becoming a feeding frenzy for the well-connected defense contractors, who will be conducting more of this misguided thinking behind closed doors on projects that (rightly or wrongly) cannot engage the broad capabilities of the systems engineering community.

No critics are allowed to examine what will be done.

Begin forwarded message: