Interesting People mailing list archives

G-20 to Hold Summit in Pittsburgh

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 19:18:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Audrey Russo" <arusso () pghtech org>
Date: May 28, 2009 5:01:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: G-20 to Hold Summit in Pittsburgh

View this email with images.

Dear Pittsburgh Technology Council Member,

Early today, it was announced that Pittsburgh has been selected as the host city for the next G-20 Summit.

Established in 1999, the G-20 includes participation from the finance ministers and central bank governors of many of the world's major economies and was designed to create a forum for open and constructive discussion between industrial and emerging market countries on the key issues that impact the global economic marketplace.

As you might imagine, these meetings often generate considerable global media coverage creating opportunities for our region to promote itself to an immense audience.

President Obama, who played a key role in bringing this summit to the U.S. and to Pittsburgh, will be in attendance at this year's event, which will only enhance the publicity and excitement surrounding this already important meeting.

As reported in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette's coverage of this announcement, the White House noted that Pittsburgh has recovered from the loss of steel jobs and has transitioned towards an economy that embraces new and green technologies.

Even as we are excited to share this news with you, we are already in communication with our regional leaders to discuss opportunities to leverage this unique platform to help showcase the role that technology entrepreneurs continue to play in the revitalization of our community. Ideally, it is our goal to help showcase individual technology firms that have developed globally applicable technologies, enabling the success of the local economy.

I would like to congratulate our community leaders who helped to make this possible and including the many entrepreneurs and businesses that have helped maintain our cities global reputation for innovation.

Sincerely,

Audrey Russo
President and Chief Executive Officer
PITTSBURGH TECHNOLOGY COUNCIL

Would you like to send this email to a friend?

Click Here to be removed from this list