Interesting People mailing list archives

Call for Videos! "The Internet Issues That Matter to Me!"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 11:21:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: May 24, 2009 11:08:16 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Call for Videos! "The Internet Issues That Matter to Me!"

            Call for Videos! "The Internet Issues That Matter to Me!"

                  http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000573.html

Greetings.  As you're no doubt aware, the Internet is awash in
commentary from pundits, experts, and other assorted riffraff (you can
sort me into whichever of these categories that you wish), telling you
why the Internet matters, what's great about the Net, what's wrong
with it, how to fix it, how to control it, and in general creating a
rather loud but almost entirely one-way conversation.

In the best traditions of "Web 2.0" (whatever that really means), I'd
like to announce an experiment in two-way communications related to
these topics.  I'd like you to tell me what really matters to
*you* about the Internet, and I want to help spread the word
about the issues that you care about.  But none of this can happen
without your participation!

I call this effort "The Internet Issues That Matter to Me!" -- and
that "me" is *you*.

Here's the plan.  If there's anything about the Internet that you feel
strongly about -- good or bad, please explain it to me in a simple,
"webcam" video of no more than one minute in length, which you can
create using this drop-dead simple video recording and submission page
( http://www.vortex.com/vortex-video-submit ).

Wherever you are, please tell me what inspires you about the Web and
the Net, or what drives you crazy about them.  What are your hopes for
the Internet's future?  Who's doing a good job providing Internet
services or capabilities, and who is screwing up big time?  What, if
anything, bugs or scares you about where we seem to be heading?  What
are your suggestions for helping to make sure that the Internet truly
is for everyone, all over the planet (and someday, beyond)?

All relevant topics are open.  Web services, ISPs, privacy, DMCA,
content controls, network neutrality, censorship, responsibility,
abuses, sites you love, sites you hate, sites and services that you
wish existed.

Don't worry about making your video fancy.  Just ponder what matters
to you about the Internet, look your webcam straight in the lens, and
go for it.  Stay anonymous if you wish.  How hard can 60 seconds be,
right?

My intention is take these video submissions and use them to
illustrate a representative sampling of Internet issues -- edited into
a hopefully logical and useful presentation -- that will then be
disseminated not just to the public at large, but to legislators,
decision-makers, and everyone else who cares about what the Internet
is and where it's heading.

Exactly how this will turn out is unknown.  It is an Experiment with a
capital "E" to be sure.  But I hope that you'll consider donating a
few minutes of your time toward submitting a quick vid explaining how
you really feel about the Internet and what it means for us all.

It's up to you.

For more details or to create and submit a video, please visit the
"Vortex Video Form" submission page
( http://www.vortex.com/vortex-video-submit ).

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Be seeing you (and this time, I really mean *seeing* you!)

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
  for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com