Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: CA and celebrity med. record leaks...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 10:04:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Edward Hasbrouck" <edward () hasbrouck org>
Date: May 19, 2009 12:48:06 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Peter Swire <peter () peterswire net>
Subject: Re: [IP] CA and celebrity med. record leaks...

On 18 May 2009 at 20:45, Peter Swire <peter () peterswire net> wrote:

Basically, we need better tech safeguards (role-based access, audit
logs). Then, as in California, we may need breach notification laws or
other measures so that people will trust that the file clerks  aren't
"peeping" at their records.

It's perhaps worth noting that among the records of interest to "peeping
toms" are travel records, and that none of the computerized reservation
systems (CRS's) in which they are stored include access logs:

http://hasbrouck.org/articles/PNR.html

This means, among other things, that the CRS's and the airlines and travel
agencies that outsource their database hosting to them *couldn't* comply
with EU data protection law (which essentially requires access logs), even
if they wanted to.  This has come up when I have tried to request the
access logs of my PNR's from European airlines on which I have travelled:

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/001679.html

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/001273.html

Travel agencies that handle celebrity clients value theitr reputation for
discretion, and train their staff in respect for privacy.  But I don't
know whether that leads such staff not to *;look* at celebrity records, or
just not to tell others (outside the company) about what they see.
Certainly with airlines its routine for gate agents to pass otherwise idle time waiting for a flight by looking at PNR's of people of interest. But
with the present travel IT infrastructure, they leave no traces.

Peace,

Edward Hasbrouck

Edward Hasbrouck
<edward () hasbrouck org>