Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: DPI -- Protecting the past from the future

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 12:52:15 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: March 1, 2009 11:18:09 AM EST
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "'Lauren Weinstein'" <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: DPI -- Protecting the past from the future

Absolute control of the network means the absolute power to impose the naïve and counter-productive policies on our ability to communicate and our ability to create new value.

I could argue the technical points of the DPI rationales cited below – but I’ve done that too many times (though it can fun). The real question is why people insist on the necessity of value-based routing? There seems to be a failure to appreciate the intrinsic ambiguities I’ve written about.

DPI is an extreme case – it’s as if we weren’t just trying to recreate the intelligent network but going all the way to the psychic network.

But there is still the issue of trying to ban “bad” behavior. Once again have we forgotten the modem crises in which dialup users were indeed badly behaved and threatening the integrity of the phone network? Imagine if the carriers had been able to impose their well- intentioned but utterly naïve idea of how to run a phone system (like a railroad) on us. Not that the effort was well-intentioned, but even if it were it would have been problematic. We’ve seen this again and again be it Hush-a-Phone or Webcams. The “bad” is a necessary step on the path to “far better”.

Perhaps the kind of dichotomy that George Lakoff cited in Moral Politics can give us some understanding of the presumption that we must and that we can control the meaning of the bits in the network.

But there is also a business rationale – if we could do our own networking better without these policies then why do we hand control over to a telecom industry that insists on charging us for these “favors”?

Controlling malware and other problems is indeed important but fixating on DPI is a diversion – like assuming could solve our national security problems by just torturing a few more people.