Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: FAA Wants to Keep Bird Strike Records Confidential - NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:55:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brock N Meeks <bmeeks () cox net>
Date: March 27, 2009 10:54:14 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] FAA Wants to Keep Bird Strike Records Confidential - NYTimes.com

For crying out loud; I guess the FAA didn't get the "openness" memo either? WTF is up with folks in these agencies. We've just been through this B.S. with the USTR; however, we've also seen the USTR do a complete 180 on withholding non-classified documents but only concerned advocates got in their face.

For the FAA to now want to keep these records secret is beyond the pale. The FAA "fears that if the public found out.. airports and air carriers wouldn't report the damage from birds." As if reporting bird strikes has done a lot of good?? As if bird strikes have caused a whole lot of damage? (Perhaps bird strikes HAVE caused a lot of damage, if so, then we really need that info so someone's feet can be held to the fire!)

And... if airports and airlines refuse to report, crank out a regulation that compels them to report, if it is as serious a problem as the FAA seems to hint at in wanting all this kept secret.

Remember eons ago when telephone network outages were kept secret by the FCC? There was no way to judge the reliability of any network. Then we suffered some big outages and Rep. Markey brought the hammer down on the FCC for not being able to tell Congress the "state of the networks" and so regulations were put in place compelling the telephone companies to report their outages.

Perhaps the White House will call these idiots at the FAA and remind them of the President's ORDER to open up access to government info; that each agency is to PRESUME something is first open and viewable by the public and to remind them that the heinous Ashcroft memo was RESCINDED in no uncertain terms by AG Holder just a week ago.

I can only image that these FAA folks are career civil servants still drinking the Kool-Aid of secrecy, a leftover by-product of the paranoid tyranny gifted to us by the Bush II Administration.