Interesting People mailing list archives

Congress' reaction to AIG bonuses -- am I the only one concerned?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 09:22:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Scott Alexander <salex () dsalex org>
Date: March 22, 2009 1:56:32 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Congress' reaction to AIG bonuses -- am I the only one concerned?

The company that I work for provides bonuses as part of my compensation package. My bonus is based on my personal performance, the performance of my business unit, and the corporate performance. There have been years when I've had good performance reviews, my business unit has racked up great numbers, but the corporation as a whole missed its numbers. My bonus is zero in those years. I figure this is one of the trade offs of working for a large company rather than being the sole employee of my own company as is the case for my wife. There are advantages to each, but anyone who goes to work for a very large corporation with the expectation that their fate is not tied to the fate of the company is being quite naive.

Best,
Scott Alexander