Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Smuggling $134 billion in bonds

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:37:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John Shoch" <shoch () alloyventures com>
Date: June 17, 2009 6:46:58 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "John Shoch" <shoch () alloyventures com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Smuggling $134 billion in bonds

Well, let's all take a deep breath here.....

1. Bloomberg did not break this as a news story; it is a "commentary" from a "columnist" in Tokyo.
2.  If you read the original post, it is filled with speculation.
3. Based on other articles, it is highly improbable that these guys really had $134B of genuine bearer bonds.
4.  There is already one report that they are fakes:
http://www.streetinsider.com/General+News/$134B+In+Seized+U.S.+Treasury+Bonds+Are+%22Fakes%22/4738952.html
5. Someone may have been scamming someone else, but I suspect we need to just wait and learn more of the facts. 6. Perhaps other reputable news outlets did not yet report it as news because they could not verify that it was news.

As I try to explain to my kids:
--Most of what you read on the Internet is wrong.
--Sadly, the Internet (including email lists, social networks, blogs, etc.) is a massive amplifier, increasing the noise.
--What the world needs is more attenuators....

John Shoch
Alloy Ventures