Interesting People mailing list archives

Innovation research question

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:38:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: June 11, 2009 10:10:01 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Innovation research question

Dave [for you personally or IP, you decide]--

I am doing research on innovation, and would like to pose a simple question to an Internet audience:

What are the five most important innovations in/from the Internet in the last five years (since 1/1/04)?

-Must be the Internet; not computing, not telecom/high-speed data, not wireless, not mobile. For example, neither FIOS nor MyFi count. -Criterion for importance is the innovation's actual impact (for good or ill) on people; whizzy new gizmos that knock out techies but haven't found their way to real people don't count. Both good and bad count; for example, Facebook and phishing both count.
    -Include in your list the dates when the innovation was introduced.
    -Feel free to tell me why you think your nominees make the list.
-Please don't respond with snide comments about others' nominees; not useful and a waste of time.

TIA for your thoughtful opinions.

Professor Gerry Faulhaber  Emeritus
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Penn Law School