Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: It's the Internet Stupid

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 08:49:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>
Date: June 8, 2009 8:46:47 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: isen () isen com, ali () circleid com, richard () bennett com
Subject: Re: [IP] It's the Internet Stupid

I'd say it is a tactic that can be used legitimately, or illegitimately, by
an ISP no matter what its size is.

I dont agree with Brett Glass on several issues but on this occasion he
happens to be right, there are several legitimate technical and operational
uses for DPI and other preferential treatment of packets.

I would repeat my call for improper use of DPI to be targeted rather than
DPI either legislated away, or vilified or both.

        srs

David Farber [08/06/09 07:20 -0400]:
As is often the case, the devil is in the details. djf

Begin forwarded message: