Interesting People mailing list archives

U.S. vs. Japan: Residential Internet Service Provision Pricing

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:15:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: June 28, 2009 1:41:50 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] U.S. vs. Japan: Residential Internet Service Provision Pricing

• In Japan, the typical Internet speed is higher than the U.S.
(8Mbps-50Mbps), and costs $30-60 per month. J:COM, a large cable
Internet provider, has cable Internet up to 160Mbps, costs $63 ($0.4
per megabit).

Our Internet service provider would love to provide similar speeds at similar prices. Unfortunately, due to the high cost of bandwidth (which is particularly inflated by excessive charges for "middle mile" bandwidth), such rates are far below our wholesale cost.

For more on the issue of "special access" -- one of the factors which most contributes to these high costs -- see my latest blog posting at

http://bennett.com/blog/2009/06/whats-this-i-hear-about-special-axes/

--Brett Glass