Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Is This Foreshadowing of American Innovation? [Respectfully, some clarification]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:41:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Scott Moskowitz <scott () bluespike com>
Date: June 25, 2009 5:04:31 PM EDT
To: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross () stapleton-gray com>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Is This Foreshadowing of American Innovation? [Respectfully, some clarification]

Hi Ross, It's, Scott. Been a while. 10 years?

Not quite ... Are trademarks "innovation" in the same sense?

We have criminalized copyright infringement and most patent infringement as determined by actual litigation is amongst large entities. Infringement has been mostly constant as per the USPTO statistics and PriceWaterhouse private study on litigation trends (2008). But, the plaintiff only prevails 50% of the time at an average of $4-5 mil per case. Trademark is about $400-500K per case, if memory serves.

Trademark misuse occurs everyday - just look at how trademark owners interpret use of their trademarks in Facebook search? Or, as key words in Google AdWord use? The Patent Act is meant to encourage enabling, public disclosure of invention. Contrary, folks keep trade secrets. I'd prefer Kerckhoff's Principle applied to innovation, just as it is in cryptography.

The fact is we cannot know the value of a patent (people do not buy technology per se: they buy goods and services) because it's value may be viewed positively (asserting exclusionary rights), negatively (preventing someone else from making such an assertion against the party) & in view of other business activity (an inventor who chose not to practice his inventions - "NPE" or "trolls").

Discouraging patents is poor industrial policy & even poorer innovation policy. Oh, and the Trademark section of the USPTO is running a surplus ... That is being sought to cover the budget shortfalls in the Patent section ... "Non sequitur", indeed.

Hope you are well!

Sincerely,
Scott