Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A comment by Esther Dyson -- Icann Hires Former Cybersecurity Chief as New C.E.O. [with comments]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 08:43:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: July 1, 2009 12:26:41 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Subject: Re: [IP] A comment by Esther Dyson -- Icann Hires Former Cybersecurity Chief as New C.E.O. [with comments]

Esther Dyson's comment "ICANN has regulated the wrong things" caused me to think really hard about what might have been a right thing, and what it means to "regulate" it.

ICANN's sole action space is to define strings of characters and to assign network address ranges to routing authorities. And it can charge fees for doing that.

Unfortunately for ICANN, any *policy* seems to be governed by national and international laws, primarily the laws around trademark, since strings of characters can be thought of as representing words that may turn out to be trademarks.

Consider an idea that has always intrigued me - create a TLD spelled ".int", which stands for "Is Not a Trademark [either intentionally or by accident]", and the registrar would be required by ICANN to affirm that the names used in that TLD were contractually asserted to be not *used as trademarks*.

Then I could use "reed.int" without fear that some large company named "reed" would accuse me of cybersquatting - because I assert in the name itself that I am not referring to any trademarked product, service or company named "reed".

Could ICANN have done this? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it isn't the ICANN board's fault if it couldn't.

And that's my point. ICANN itself is nearly powerless. It cannot regulate the *right* things, even if we knew what they were. At best it can advocate and try to understand the many contending jurisdictions and competing entities seeking a modicum of monopoly control or a policy wedge.

In this sense, ICANN is not a sovereign. It is more like the weakest from of a "democracy" - it derives ALL of its power from the "consent of the governed". And unfortunately, they haven't consented to be governed.

ICANN was not created, IMO, to "regulate" anything. It's a fantasy to think that it could.