Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: WSJ TECHNOLOGY ALERT: Justice Dept. Launches Informal Review of U.S. Telecom Industry

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 16:49:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: July 6, 2009 4:05:17 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] WSJ TECHNOLOGY ALERT: Justice Dept. Launches Informal Review of U.S. Telecom Industry

I hope they do more than just focus on the symptoms like cellular pricing.

Is there any possibility of addressing the inherent conflict of interest between the 19th century idea of communications as a service and the 21st century notion that we can create our own services and just need facilities maintenance, AKA infrastructure?

We saw the value liberated when we decoupled IBM's hardware from its software and the Internet has shown the same thing for telecom. Is it too much to expect a reexamination of the assumptions that define today’s telecom?