Interesting People mailing list archives

quantum architecture, and "Science 2.0"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 07:30:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Date: July 6, 2009 7:25:30 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: quantum architecture, and "Science 2.0"

Dave,

Slightly different thread:

In some ways, the system I am working on (an effort led by Thaddeus
Ladd of Yoshi Yamamoto's group at Stanford) is an infrared version of
the same thing that the Yale gang is doing in microwave.  (In other
ways, it's very different.)  We have been attacking the problem from
both the top-level architecture (my domain, with lots of help from
Thaddeus, Austin Fowler of Melbourne, and Jim Harrington of Los
Alamos) and the bottom-level materials issues (a Stanford grad
student).  We think our system is very promising at all levels, and we
think we have a pretty complete architectural and technological story.
But I'm not giving away any state secrets when I say that we are still
years from demonstrating anything as good as what these guys have
accomplished.

For some of our current work, see
http://arxiv.org/abs/0906.2686
which is currently under open review for an IJQI special issue;
comments welcome at
http://quantalk.org/view.php?id1=139&thread=1
(our NSF grant:
http://128.150.4.107/awardsearch/showAward.do?AwardNumber=0829694
)

You are also welcome to comment on the open review process, at
http://quantalk.org/view.php?id1=135&thread=1

This is headed toward "Science 2.0", where ideas, data, and paper
reviews are done in the open.  Other ways in which quantum
computing/quantum physics is pushiing in this direction include:

http://scirate.com/
where you can give a paper a "thumbs up" (called a SciTe) and/or
comment on it, right after it appears on the arXiv (itself an open
preprint server and the first, long-standing step toward a more open
publication process).

http://www.quantiki.org/video_abstracts
People have begun experimenting with posting 3-6 minute introductions,
or video abstracts, for some papers, using YouTube.  This is the
"elevator pitch" for a paper -- a way to describe what you think is
important, and help people to decide whether or not to read the full
paper.  A small step toward a more interactive way of doing Science,
IMHO.

                --Rod