Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Icann Hires Former Cybersecurity Chief as New C.E.O. [with comments]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 09:18:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: James Seng <james () seng sg>
Date: July 2, 2009 8:51:53 PM EDT
To: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>, David Farber <dave () farber net >
Cc: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Icann Hires Former Cybersecurity Chief as New C.E.O. [with comments]

I do not disagree with you on the problems of DNS, of its very nature that hook right within our network and create mini-monopoly economy. It is still a challenge how to really create

For example, we know that Search Engine gives a better user experience. Some browsers already drop the traditional address bar in replacement with a single "Search & Address Bar".

But until something else come along, DNS is what we have and we have to live with it.

The problem is fundamentally DNS. ICANN was not formed to "fix" DNS. It is formed to deal with the problem arises (e.g. competitions) with whatever fault that DNS has.

A side note to Rich Kulawiec who commented that phisher & spammer rushed into a new TLD. It is a often repeated statement that may be true at some stage in time but not so currently.

http://www.antiphishing.org/reports/APWG_GlobalPhishingSurvey2H2008.pdf

"Up to 81% of the domains used for phishing were “compromised” or hacked domains. Phishing most often takes place on compromised Web servers, where the phishers place their phishing pages unbeknownst to the site operators. This method gains the phishers free hosting, and complicates take-down efforts because suspending a domain name or hosting account also disables the resolution of the legitimate user’s site. Phishing on a compromised Web site typically takes place on a subdomain or in a subdirectory, where
the phish is not easily noticed by the site’s operator or visitors."

Phishing has moved on from trying to register their own domain names for their activities. It is easier to hijack an existing one and use it for a while before moving on.

-James Seng

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com > wrote: Whatever the original mission of ICANN was we’ve learned a lot since then we need to do more than spawn lots of little NSIs – that’s not competition, it’s just a feeding frenzy. ICANN isn’t addressing the fundamental dysfunction and failures of the DNS:

· The DNS cannot be a directory but adding support for more languages only reinforces that misconception.

· We still don’t stable identifiers – the new gTLDs just continue the tradition of creating billable events.

A fundamental principle of the Internet is that those outside the network create their own solutions. Yet the DNS has turned out to have been a failure – it keeps control firmly inside the network and it’s very existence frustrates efforts to move on. ICANN should be doing all it can to deprecate the DNS. As an interim the DNS should immediately and without any further ado provide for stable handles that don’t have semantic baggage and thus have no need to be reused. It should then encourage others like WIPO and private companies like Google, Skype, Microsoft etc to provide their own directory and registry services

Ultimately we mustn’t have to a fatal dependency on a single central point of failure and control like the DNS. In the meantime we should be doing what we can to reduce that dependency. It should also tackle the failed idea of the IP address that has made routing unnecessarily complicated and assured identifiers are not stable thus leading to the kludge called the DNS.

To put it another way – ICANN is a finger in the dike. We shouldn’t treat it as a solution but rather a reminder that dike is in desperate need of repair. Can an outsider provide the kind of stronger leadership necessary to move ICANN beyond its original mission so it can do what has to be done to assure the continued vibrancy of the dynamic we call “The Internet”?