Interesting People mailing list archives

AT&T Statement Regarding img.4chan.org

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:57:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "BALMORIS, MICHAEL F (ATTSI)" <mb8156 () att com>
Date: July 27, 2009 5:24:53 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: AT&T Statement Regarding img.4chan.org

FYI---

We have a statement re: the 4chan.org issue and it has been posted to our public policy microsite: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=26970

I've also pasted it below:

AT&T Statement Regarding img.4chan.org

Dallas, Texas, July 27, 2009

ShareThis

Beginning Friday, an AT&T customer was impacted by a denial-of-service attack stemming from IP addresses connected to img.4chan.org. To prevent this attack from disrupting service for the impacted AT&T customer, and to prevent the attack from spreading to impact our other customers, AT&T temporarily blocked access to the IP addresses in question for our customers. This action was in no way related to the content at img.4chan.org; our focus was on protecting our customers from malicious traffic.

Overnight Sunday, after we determined the denial-of-service threat no longer existed, AT&T removed the block on the IP addresses in question. We will continue to monitor for denial-of-service activity and any malicious traffic to protect our customers.

About AT&T
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company. Its subsidiaries and affiliates, AT&T operating companies, are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. Among their offerings are the world's most advanced IP-based business communications services, the nation's fastest 3G network and the best wireless coverage worldwide, and the nation's leading high speed Internet access and voice services. In domestic markets, AT&T is known for the directory publishing and advertising sales leadership of its Yellow Pages and YELLOWPAGES.COM organizations, and the AT&T brand is licensed to innovators in such fields as communications equipment. As part of their three-screen integration strategy, AT&T operating companies are expanding their TV entertainment offerings. In 2009, AT&T again ranked No. 1 in the telecommunications industry on FORTUNE® magazine's list of the World's Most Admired Companies. Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com.

© 2009 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. 3G service not available in all areas. AT&T, the AT&T logo, and all other marks contained herein are

Michael Balmoris
Executive Director, Public Affairs
AT&T Services, Inc.
1120 20th Street, NW, Suite 1000