Interesting People mailing list archives

from Peter Lee CMU re his Darpa adventure -- best Peter

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:04:32 -0400

Friends,

I'm writing to tell you that I have agreed to go to DARPA for two years, starting around the end of August. There are still some issues pending before this becomes official, but I thought it best for you to be the among the first to know that this is likely to happen.

This was an extremely difficult decision for me. I find the job of CSD Head to be so incredibly fulfilling and, well, fun. I also know, through my extensive travels and interactions in the computing community around the world, that CMU Computer Science is really on a roll. My personal assessment is that CMU CS is doing the highest- quality, highest-impact, and most innovative computing research and education in the world. While that is a personal (but expert ;-) opinion, what I think is undeniable is that no other computing department or research institution in the US has as much forward momentum as we do right now.

So why would I go to DARPA, especially now? Why would I give up my chance to have that plum office in our shiny soon-to-be-open Gates and Hillman Centers? And why would I take a leave, even if only for a two- year commitment, during one of the most tumultuous periods in history for our department and for the university?

Of course, I consulted with many people for advice, including not only colleagues but also my family. I know Regina Dugan, the new DARPA Director, and truly admire her and have always worked well with her. I believe she is trying to move DARPA into extremely important and promising directions. I also know key members of her new management team and can see that I have an important role to fill that would benefit not only CMU and the academic community, but our nation's defense and even more broadly, our approach to the many challenges now facing our society. Of course, it is also critically important that the new DARPA is very, very serious about re-engaging with university researchers; my appointment as a new Office Director is hopefully just an early sign that DARPA is really serious about this.

For me, it is a great honor to be asked to join this team. Throughout all of this, I have become convinced that a truly major impact is possible in a re-envisioned DARPA and that I have a chance to play not only an important role in this, but perhaps a crucial one. In that sense, I also feel an obligation to our nation to do this.

I've been working with Randy and others on a transition process, and while we have an incredibly strong and vibrant set of leaders, undoubtedly there will be a few bumps in the road ahead. More information about this will be dribbling out shortly, and we will also roll out, bit by bit, the news of my new post to a wider set of people. I realize that CMU CS is being asked to sacrifice a lot here; after all, Jeannette Wing was pulled into national service halfway through her headship, too. But the fact that CMU CS consistently produces national-level leaders is something that we should all be proud of; we should have faith that this will keep us in good stead in the coming years. Certainly, no CS Department has a deeper and stronger "bench" than we do; this is clearly a strong sign of just how good we are. I'm sure you can all think of 4 or more great internal candidates for a new or interim head.

I've already confided in some of you who have been my recent collaborators. I appreciate all the moral support and encouragement you've been giving me. The tasks we all face in the next two years are enormous, so this supportive attitude is more important than ever.

If any of you feel the need to discuss this with me, feel free to call my cell (you can get the number from Diana) or send email. I am on the phone quite a bit or in meetings, so I might not be able to answer right away, but I'll definitely get back to you.

More later...

Peter