Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Update on Kindle book removals

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 20:07:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Gaines <gene.gaines () gainesgroup com>
Date: July 18, 2009 4:53:04 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Update on Kindle book removals

Amazon is making a big push into cloud computing (EC2) and backup services .

What if I had backed up the electronic copy of something purchased from Amazon or one of the thousands of suppliers associated with Amazon. Would they have reached into my backup account and deleted the copy there, in addition to the copy on my Kindle, if I owned one? Would they cancel a computer job I had running on their Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud Service that was performing an analysis of the works of George Orwell processing the electronic book text I had purchased?

I am sure Amazon would say "Oh no, we would never do anything like that ..."

I no longer trust Amazon. I have purchased a variety of physical and electronic items through Amazon, and I had entrusted account information for 4 charge cards. No more. I have deleted my charge account info. Next I will delete my EC2 account. I will avoid all Amazon in the future.

Gene Gaines