Interesting People mailing list archives

cebook hacked and no avenue for redress

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:13:33 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mark Neely" <mark.neely () gmail com>
Date: January 15, 2009 9:32:17 AM EST
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Facebook hacked and no avenue for redress

Dave,

I am writing partly to vent my frustration but mainly in the vain hope
someone on the IP list can help me out.

My Facebook account was hacked approximately 40hrs ago. I discovered this
when I was called by a concerned friend who wanted to confirm that I was
being held at gunpoint in London and desperately needed him to wire me cash (via Western Union) so I could escape the country and return to Australia.
Of course, I was not in London, and it was not me he was chatting to on
Facebook.

I immediately attempted to log into Facebook, but the password had been
changed. So I tried to reset the password, but the email address linked to my Facebook account had also been changed. I could not access my account.

I spent an hour scanning the Facebook site looking for a contact phone
number. No such luck. I completed 2 different incident reporting forms, and received auto-confirmations. I then scanned their T+Cs and Privacy notices and discovered the privacy () facebook com email address and sent an email to
that address.

40 hours later, I have had no response from Facebook, and I have been
alerted by friends that the perpetrators are still active on my account,
initiating chats with people begging for help and a money transfer. I just alerted several authorities in Australia (though it is now 1.30am in Sydney, so had to use online forms). Unfortunately, the Australian Federal Police (who do have a 24hr hotline) couldn't help me (they referred me to a Scam
Watch service!).

So I am asking whether anyone on the IP list has a direct contact with an appropriate stakeholder at Facebook, or some specific advice on who I might contact in the US to get the account suspended and the perpetrators locked
out (or, better, traced and apprehended).

Any feedback appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

-----