Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Broadband Plan ---

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:45:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () cmu edu>
Date: January 10, 2009 12:58:22 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, Larry Press <lpress () csudh edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  Broadband Plan ---

Dave,

(1) I wholeheartedly agree that we need way more fiber, but (2) we may be able to do much more with existing infrastructure as well.

I write about how/why DSL is way overpriced in urban markets re. (2) on the link below. Re. (1) for many parts of the US, there is a relatively inexpensive way to get fiber - poles. Ariel fiber is quite cheap. The poles are there. Getting your hands on it is the challenge. E.g., in parts of Rural PA, there are 3 "utilities" that own about a third of the poles (cable, telephony, and power). They give each other access (sometimes regulated). The problem is none of them (or the regulators) have figured out (or ?wanted to figure out) how to manage fiber.

The claims of "safety issues" on electric poles and space requirements is hokey. There are optical fibers available that are embedded *within* electrical distribution cable. A GREAT solution IMHO.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rtongia/web2/FCC.html#FCC-Personal_Reactions

[see a few paras down re. (1) and (2)

Rahul

Begin forwarded message: