Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: END OF DICSSION DJF Dean Baker nonsense about Defaulting on the National Debt

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 05:36:20 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew Burnette <acb () acb net>
Date: January 9, 2009 7:04:00 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Dean Baker nonsense about Defaulting on the National Debt

Dave,

while I 100% agree that calling it a default on debt is "alarmist" at the kinder end of the scale, let's call it what it is.

Congress for decades has been hiding horrendous budget deficits of the federal government by silently borrowing the entire social security surplus. It's nothing short of nauseating. Most year of the past 3 decades have had actual operating deficits 50-100% above that which get printed in the paper.

Sure, the OMB and so on put the numbers in the fine print, but it is akin to the hidden "other 7%" SS/payroll tax regular employees never see (paid by employers) on their paystubs. (My opinion is that sheer outrage among the working middle class would flip washington up end a few times if that entire tax amount were shown on paychecks)

Here's where it gets ugly. When those notes from the SS trust fund come due, the federal operational budget is required to pay back those debts. So the question becomes "with what, more debt?" and from where might that debt be financed.

Default? Perhaps that's just a misnomer. But I know if I stop paying my credit cards to pay my mortgage, someone will claim I'm in default.

Should the federal budget be any different?

Best regards,
andy burnette