Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Dean Baker nonsense about Defaulting on the National Debt

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 14:41:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Schmidt <schmidt () provider com>
Date: January 9, 2009 12:20:01 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Dean Baker nonsense about Defaulting on the National Debt

Hi Dave for IP if you wish...

-- Bob

Good points by John.

If you look at employment, what we see is approximately 148 million in the workforce today.

Looking at baby boomers, I estimate approximately 2/3 will actually retire in their 60's - the rest will remain in the workforce in some fashion - and presumably continue contributing to social security to some degree.

There are almost as many boomlet kids as there are boomers and there are 1+ boomlet kids graduating from college and entering the workforce for roughly every boomer who will retire, making the generational hand off essentially a wash. Thus the labor force and employment should remain steady at 148 million until around 2030 at which point it will slowly decline.

There is a claimed social security shortfall of some $11 or $12 trillion through 2050. If you do the math, between now and then, $5 a day per employee essentially eliminates that shortfall completely.

That additional contribution could be any combination of contribution splits from employers and employees to get to the $5 amount. 100/0, 0/100, 50/50, 60/40 - whatever.

Not chump change, but we used to talk about giving up a luxury like Starbucks and you can see that if we each forego the equivalent of 1 pack of cigarettes a day, or one gourmet coffee a day, or a couple of ITunes downloads, we could essentially fund Social Security into perpetuity.

Bob Schmidt
Provider Marketing Group
Orlando, FL