Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Re: Obama CTO

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 20:34:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh () syr edu>
Date: January 6, 2009 6:46:58 PM EST
To: <dcrocker () bbiw net>, <dave () farber net>
Cc: "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>, "John Ryan" <john.conor.ryan () gmail com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:     Obama CTO

Dave,

Again for IP:

John Holdren, Obama's nominee as Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy, and a well regarded physicist also expert on energy, environment among other topics is an excellent choice to play the (hopefully more empowered role in an Obama administration) of keeping overll federal policies fact ie science-based and forward- looking.

A CTO in an information business helps set the technology direction for a company, and spots new opportunities for revenue growth and cost saving. For the Federal Government, we should all be happy if the technology to make the information engine run better and faster, and who knows maybe even cheaper, can be found and implemented. Including new investments in a wide range of technologies (far beyond IT I agree.)

So again. in the mega-info engine of the fed government, a CTO better add value to that engine, or find a different job. The science and technology advisor post is already taken.

But Dave does have a good point, the complementarity and hopefully good teamwork of the CTO and the Science Advisor will be a key question if this new CTO post is going to pay dividends for us all.

Lee