Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: FCC Chair Drops Internet Filter Plan -- And Words from the Smothers Brothers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 08:57:53 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mary Shaw" <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: January 6, 2009 8:44:38 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] FCC Chair Drops Internet Filter Plan -- And Words from the Smothers Brothers

Dave,

Among the gems that lurk in the Carnegie Mellon University Policies, one of my favorite is the policy on controversial speakers, found at http://www.cmu.edu/policies/documents/FreeSpeech.html

It says in part,
Carnegie Mellon University values the freedoms of speech, thought, expression and assembly - in themselves and as part of our core educational and intellectual mission. If individuals are to cherish freedom, they must experience it. The very concept of freedom assumes that people usually choose wisely from a range of available ideas and that the range and implications of ideas cannot be fully understood unless we hold vital our rights to know, to express, and to choose. [[snip]] When guests are invited by a recognized campus organization, they may express their ideas not because they have a right to do so, but because members of the campus community have a right to hear, see, and experience diverse intellectual and creative inquiry. Defending that right is a fundamental obligation of the university. Controversy cannot be permitted to abridge the freedoms of speech, thought, expression or assembly. They are not matters of convenience, but of necessity. [[snip]] In context, the "not because they have a right to do so" means that as a private university we do not offer an arena for anyone who wants to demand our attention, but that we (the individuals and campus organizations) can invite speakers who might be controversial but who we want to hear. The city has many public areas where anyone can speak out, including public sidewalks in front of campus buildings.

Mary Shaw