Interesting People mailing list archives

Google Glitches -- But World Doesn't End!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 14:58:50 -0600

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: January 31, 2009 2:05:21 PM CST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Google Glitches -- But World Doesn't End!

                 Google Glitches -- But World Doesn't End!

                http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000501.html

Greetings.  In answer to numerous queries, I'm been working to pin
down the situation with the Google search results glitch this morning
(which for a brief period tagged all sites as potentially harmful) and
Google's updated blog entry seems very specific as to the cause --
human error that resulted in "/" being treated as a valid "blacklist"
table entry, which expanded to all URLs
( http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/this-site-may-harm-your-computer-on.html ).

I suspect that many of us have run into this type of programming
problem ourselves over the years, though presumably not visible on
such a large stage.  Google fixed the problem rapidly.

I'm still getting reports of Gmail messages supposedly being
incorrectly categorized as "potentially dangerous" (based on internal
URLs) during approximately the same period as the search results
issue, but I do *not* at this time have independent confirmation of
this problem, nor of any specific linkage to the search results
glitch.

There has been considerable confusion about the relationship between
StopBadware.org ( http://www.stopbadware.org ) and Google,
and who is responsible for which aspects of the blacklist in question.
The current version of the Google blog entry noted above now correctly
describes the situation (the error in question originating on Google).

While this obviously was not a trivial event, I might note that the
world did not come to an end.  People were able to search on other
than Google if they wished, and if there were any incorrectly
categorized Gmail messages, they were safely quarantined and available
for later viewing.

This does demonstrate that even the best run of large, complex
information platforms are potentially subject to relatively simple
errors (or complex errors for that matter) that can have broad impact.
However, while this Google glitch was a minor annoyance to users and
presumably somewhat embarrassing for Google, life goes on.

Contrary to those observers who incorrectly assert that Google is a
"monopolist," there were plenty of alternatives available for users
during the span of the Google problem.

But for an interesting thought experiment, imagine the impact if
something like this had happened with a government-mandated filtering
and blocking system that would affect *all* related ISPs by law,
as is being implemented in some countries.  Now that's something to
worry about.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com