Interesting People mailing list archives

Martin drops porn filtering from FCC free wireless broadband plan

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 12:30:36 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: January 5, 2009 3:13:57 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Martin drops porn filtering from FCC free wireless broadband plan

Martin drops porn filtering from FCC free wireless broadband plan
Telephony Online
By Matthew Lasar

Kevin Martin, the Chair of the Federal Communications Commission, called Ars Technica today to let us know that he has revised his proposal to roll out a free (and smut-free) wireless broadband service. In an effort to corral more votes, Martin has already circulated a new version of the plan, one that removes the controversial smut filtering requirement.

Why the change? "I'm saying if this is a problem for people, let's take it away," Martin said. "A lot of public interest advocates have said they would support this, but we're concerned about the filter. Well, now there's an item in front of the Commissioners and it no longer has the filter. And I've already voted for it without the filter now. So it's already got one vote."

<http://telephonyonline.com/external.html?q=http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081229-no-more-porn-filtering-on-fcc-free-wireless-broadband-plan.html >
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>