Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Cox to Trial New Congestion Management System

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:09:03 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tony Lauck <tlauck () madriver com>
Date: January 28, 2009 12:46:15 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Cox to Trial New Congestion Management System

It is reasonable for bulk traffic to be given less preference than interactive traffic. The questions are:

  (1) which traffic is which?
  (2) who decides?

In my previous posts I have pointed out that it isn't necessary to inspect any part of the packets other than the IP address fields to eliminate fairness problems between customers. However, a finer degree of packet inspection may be desirable for customers who have a mixture of users (e.g. teenage file sharers plus adult web surfers) behind a NAT box or who run a mixture of services (e.g. VOIP and bulk file transfers).

I recently got a new ADSL modem that comes with a built-in router. It has the ability to prioritize traffic by port, MAC address, etc. So if I run into congestion that I generate myself I can take care of it by making the appropriate settings in my router. I can do my own "deep" packet inspection and set my own policies.

Unfortunately, most of Cox's customers won't have the knowledge, skills, or time to do this configuration, even if they have appropriate equipment. So it may make sense for Cox to implement default policies in their network that require "shallow" packet inspection. I would have no problem with this, provided that it can be opted out on a per customer basis.

Tony Lauck
https://www.aglauck.com
"Stop deep packet inspection by encryption, not legislation!"

Begin forwarded message: