Interesting People mailing list archives

Ensuring Effective Broadband Stimulus -- Analysis of Draft Economic Stimulus Legislation

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:07:39 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 26, 2009 6:53:04 PM EST
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: <nnsquad () nnsquad org>
Subject: RE: [IP] Ensuring Effective Broadband Stimulus -- Analysis of Draft Economic Stimulus Legislation

Brett does raise some real concerns about micromanagement and a failure to address issues like the cost of backbone connectivity. The problem is that they are all interrelated and it’s hard to patch our way past the structural issues. We need to liberate the local WISPs and ISPs to support their customers rather than being trapped between the users and the larger providers.

But why are we trying to provide a stimulus when communities that are already stimulated – what they lack is the opportunity to create their own solutions.

If we’re going to debate the details of the FCC’s proposal shouldn’t we also question the premises and try for a larger vision? Broadband – be it a business model or a technology –is just a means. These days we need to understand markets and create opportunity. We can’t be naïve and assume it’s just about policy without the need for understanding.