Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: FCC Probes Comcast's Phone Practices - NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:01:05 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 21, 2009 10:41:24 AM EST
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] FCC Probes Comcast's Phone Practices - NYTimes.com

We seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room – thanks to “broadband as a business model” the carriers have already taken 90 to 99% of the capacity off the table for their own services, especially their own video.

This is why I keep arguing it’s a structural problem and we’re diverted by following up on the consequences of their being in the untenable position wherein neutrality puts them at a severe disadvantage against agile competitors and threatens the service-based funding model that defines telecom.