Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Good read -- Our world may be a giant hologram -- scientifically inclined friends. I give up. What's goin' on here? Not much.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 04:27:04 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Byrden <farber2 () byrden com>
Date: January 19, 2009 3:41:02 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Good read -- Our world may be a giant hologram -- scientifically inclined friends. I give up. What's goin' on here? Not much.

Dave:

I take issue with a number of statements regarding the EPR experiment
(i.e. where two widely separated measurements yield the same result).

>> there are some who believe his discovery may change the face of science.

The experiment was a confirmation of decades-old theory of quantum mechanics, which was already in widespread use. I would guess that the majority of physicists
were not surprised by the new result. Not much 'change' there.

>> under certain circumstances subatomic particles such as electrons are able
>> to instantaneously

This is just wrong. In the relativistic universe, the word 'instantaneous' has no well-defined meaning. You can arbitrarily choose frames of reference where the same 2 events A and B occur 'simultaneously', or A before B, or B before A. So the communication is, or isn't 'instantaneous' depending on who looks at it.

>> communicate each other regardless of the distance separating them.
>> The problem with this feat is that it violates Einstein's long- held tenet that
>> no communication can travel faster than the speed of light.

The word 'communication' isn't appropriate either; this phenomenon could never be used to transmit a message. The same bit of data appears in 2 places, yes,
but it's a random bit.

David