Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Our world may be a giant hologram -- scientifically inclined friends. I give up. What's goin' on here? DIGITAL!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 16:53:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Andrew Grosso" <Agrosso () acm org>
Date: January 17, 2009 3:37:50 PM EST
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Our world may be a giant hologram -- scientifically inclined friends. I give up. What's goin' on here? DIGITAL!

Dave - The hologram theory was on the cover of Scientific America sometime ago. Frankly, the concept that the real world has a particular form is a questionable. The world appears to be a mathematical function concerning probabilities, and our nervous systems merely tools whereby we are concious of a very limited domain or range of that function. Whether that function is a solid 3, 4, or 11 dimensional world, a hologram, a collection of space-time grains, or none of the above, appears to be a question of formulation, not of reality. This doesn't mean that physics is futile - it means that we should study the function to learn how the universe operates and not expect to find more reality than that. - Andy GrossoSent: Saturday, January 17, 2009 3:24 PM