Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Regarding the "fight the patents" call... (Was: TODAY: Stop IETF Enactment of Patented Standard for TLS)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:33:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko () piuha net>
Date: February 11, 2009 10:34:04 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood () cable comcast com>, seth.johnson () RealMeasures dyndns org
Subject: Regarding the "fight the patents" call... (Was: [IP] TODAY: Stop IETF Enactment of Patented Standard for TLS)

For IP, if deemed worthy:

I'm not sure how useful the TLS authorization standard is, and from what I've read there's a good case to be made on technical and process grounds that it should not become a standard. For instance, the IETF TLS working group chairs believe that it has technical problems and that an extension such as this should come from their WG in order to ensure that it is properly reviewed.

However, for fairness you should probably note that the FSF campaign is quite controversial, both in the manner it is delivered as well as what the facts are. A couple of pointers to messages from well known IETF folks on this topic below:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg55410.html by Noel Chiappa http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg55392.html by Brian Carpenter

I have not researched this topic or checked the facts myself (yet), but I thought it would be useful to note that there's quite a bit of controversy. Note that the IETF crowd is generally very interested in avoiding patents in their work, particularly if the license conditions are not free use for everyone. Of course, working groups can decide to use technology even if it is encumbered, and some have done so. And as always with IPR, we may not even know about all the cases...

Jari Arkko