Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Van Jacobson interview on content nets

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:22:43 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ted Nelson <tandm () xanadu net>
Date: February 25, 2009 9:16:25 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ted Nelson <tandm () xanadu net>
Subject: Fwd: [IP] Van Jacobson interview on content nets

(Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions for
 viewing; I finally copied the text from the PDF
 and printed it out to read it.)

It's nice that Jacobson is interested in re-use of content
 -- always my concern-- but he treats it simply
as a technical problem of CACHING!

There is no acknowledgment in the article of
 any form of intellectual property, let alone
 authorship, document structure, permission.

Perhaps Jacobson is one of the people
 who expects intellectual property to evaporate
 under pressure.

And what will happen to the Internet when
 intellectual property ends?  There goes Linux
 when the Gnu License goes down!  Many people seem
 unaware that open source-- notably Stallman's
 GPL-- is entirely based on copyright law.

Best, Ted