Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Start Up the Risk-Takers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:43:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Atkinson <rca53 () columbia edu>
Date: February 24, 2009 12:24:33 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  Start Up the Risk-Takers

Titus,

You might consider "angel investor" funds.  Google "angel investing" and
maybe your city or state and you will see that there are many "angel"
investor groups.

Some angel groups simply screen business plans and provide a forum for
entrepreneurs with the best plans to pitch to angels while others actually
establish a collective fund and make portfolio investments. You probably
have to be an "accredited investor" to participate in an angel organizations since you are likely to lose all of the investment in many instances, with
those total losses, hopefully, offset by the occasional "home run" that
returns 10, 20 or more times the investment. I don't know if the funds would
take $5,000....it may be too small.

Bob

Robert C. Atkinson
Director of Policy Research
Columbia Institute for Tele-Information (CITI)
http://www.citi.columbia.edu

office: 212-854-7576
mobile: 908-447-4201

E-mail: rca53 () columbia edu