Interesting People mailing list archives

Network neutrality article mischaracterizes Canadian incidentBarbara's response --

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:16:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Barbara van Schewick <schewick () stanford edu>
Date: February 22, 2009 2:05:01 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: Network neutrality article mischaracterizes Canadian incident

In his e-mail, Brett Glass critiques a portion of my article on network neutrality that was recently published in the Communications of the ACM as part of a point/counterpoint exchange with David Farber (http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1461928.1461942 ).

In the paragraph that Mr. Glass focuses on, I argue that “network providers may have an incentive to block unwanted content that threatens the company’s interests or does not comply with the network provider’s chosen content policy.” (CACM article, p. 32) I use three recent incidents of content-based discrimination to illustrate this claim.

Mr. Glass claims that my necessarily brief descriptions of the incidents mischaracterize what actually happened, and that the incidents, once characterized correctly, do not support an argument in favor of network neutrality regulation. I don’t agree.

According to Mr. Glass, my article claims “that Telus, a Canadian telephone company and ISP, blocked a union Web site during a labor dispute.” Mr. Glass then reveals that, when he researched this incident, he “learned […] that the site that was blocked by Telus was not that of the union. It was called "Voices for Change," and was run by a union member named David DiMaria.”

I don’t disagree with the facts Mr. Glass discovered, but he does not accurately describe my argument. My article does not claim that the website was the union’s website, but clearly states that the web site was run by a member of the Telecommunications Workers Union: “In 2005, Telus, Canada’s second largest ISP, blocked access to a Web site that was run by a member of the Telecommunications Workers Union. At the time, Telus and the union were engaged in a contentious labor dispute, and the Web site allowed union members to discuss strategies during the strike.” (CACM article, p. 32)

According to press reports at the time, Telus justified the blocking as follows: “[T]he company said the site suggested striking workers jam Telus phone lines, and posted pictures of employees crossing the union picket lines. Telus spokesman Drew Mcarthur said advocating jamming lines hurt the company, and access to the pictures threatened the privacy and safety of employees.” (CBC News, http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2005/07/24/telus-sites050724.html) Mr. Glass cites from a letter that DiMaria’s lawyer wrote to DiMaria in connection with a settlement between Telus and DiMaria, in which the lawyer states that some of the content on the website would indeed have justified an injunction; the lawyer explicitly describes two posts that identify and threaten employees who continue to work during the strike. As part of the settlement, DiMaria agreed to remove content (including photographs), posted after a specific date “with the intent of intimidating or threatening Telus’ employees.”

According to Mr. Glass, these facts indicate that the blocking of the website was justified as an attempt by Telus “to prevent its employees from suffering physical harm.”

I don’t agree. While the facts indicate that the site included threatening content that needed to be removed, there are very clear legal procedures (such as getting a court order to get the content removed) for realizing this goal. Every person or entity which is threatened by online information needs to follow these procedures to protect itself. There is no reason why a network provider should have different rights, just because it is technically able to engage in some sort of self-help.

In fact, the Telus case highlights some of the reasons why network providers should not be allowed to engage in self-help through blocking.

First, compared to an injunction, blocking is both over- and underinclusive. According to investigations by the OpenNet Initiative at the time of the blocking, by banning access to the IP address of the server on which the website was hosted, Telus not only blocked access to “Voices for Change”, but also to 766 other websites hosted on the same server, among them an engineering company, a breast cancer fundraising site, or a Colorado based electronic recycling company. (http://opennet.net/bulletins/010 )

With respect to the website itself, the blocking did not only affect the illegal content, but also the many legitimate discussions that were taking place on the site (according to the lawyer’s letter to DiMaria, “the site was hugely popular; 39,000 hits in a month. We assumed that it was very effective as a forum for strike communication; and comments critical of company during strike.” (http://flickr.com/photos/penmachine/29590389/ , p. 2 of the letter)

At the same time, the blocking wasn’t an effective way of preventing access to the illegal information: it only prevented customers of Telus’ Internet service (and customers of ISPs’ who were downstream from Telus) from accessing the site directly. Even Telus’ customers were still able to get access through a proxy site or one of the mirror sites that had been set up.

Second, the relevant legal rules assign the right to decide which content is illegal to a court which has no interest in the matter. As the Telus’ case shows, an entity whose own interests are at stake may have an incentive to interpret more liberally what needs to be removed. As indicated above, Telus consistently justified the blocking not just with the threat to employee’s safety, but also with the online discussions about jamming Telus’ customer service lines that were taking place on the site. According to Telus spokesman Drew Mcarthur, “advocating jamming lines hurt the company.” By contrast, the union argued that “union members who post online exchanges about jamming Telus service lines are acting within their rights.” (CBC News, http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2005/07/24/telus-sites050724.html) . These additional concerns related to Telus’ business interests featured prominently in other statements by the company: for example, in a standardized letter to customers who complained about the blocking, Telus wrote that the website was blocked, “because it publishes confidential TELUS documents, photos of TELUS team members who have chosen to continue to work, and instructions on how to carry out harmful actions that impede TELUS’ ability to serve our customers.”, and that Telus “blocked access to the site to protect our employees, our assets, and reduce activities that are clearly designed to limit our ability to provide the highest level of customer service possible.” http://www.penmachine.com/2005/07/continuing-telus-website-blocking-saga.html) . However, neither the settlement with DiMaria, nor in the injunction against the Telecommunications Workers Union that Telus obtained in court address these business-related concerns. While there may be other reasons, this suggests that these concerns were unable to withstand judicial scrutiny.

All this suggests that while there clearly was some illegal content on the web site, blocking the site was not the right method to get it removed. In addition, Telus’ public statements regarding their other motivations that go beyond the safety of their employees suggest that using the Telus story as an example of a company that “blocks unwanted content that threatens the company’s interest” is justified.

According to Mr. Glass, my “article similarly mischaracterizes two other incidents. In one, a Verizon Wireless employee -- in violation of company policy -- delayed issuing an SMS "short code" to Naral. Contrary to the assertions in the article, this incident had nothing to do with the Internet and was the result of an employee's misconduct rather than a problematic company policy.”

I don’t agree with this characterization of what actually happened. Here is how the New York Times described the incident in a front page article on September 27, 2007 (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/us/27verizon.html ), drawing on written copies of Naral’s communication with Verizon and an interview with a Verizon spokesperson:

“Saying it had the right to block ‘controversial or unsavory’ text messages, Verizon Wireless has rejected a request from Naral Pro- Choice America, the abortion rights group, to make Verizon’s mobile network available for a text-message program. […] In turning down the program, Verizon, one of the nation’s two largest wireless carriers, told Naral that it does not accept programs from any group ‘that seeks to promote an agenda or distribute content that, in its discretion, may be seen as controversial or unsavory to any of our users.’ Naral provided copies of its communications with Verizon to The New York Times. […] A spokesman for Verizon said the decision turned on the subject matter of the messages and not on Naral’s position on abortion. ‘Our internal policy is in fact neutral on the position,’ said the spokesman, Jeffrey Nelson. ‘It is the topic itself’ — abortion — ‘that has been on our list.’” (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/us/27verizon.html )

In an article the next day, the New York Times added that “In turning down the request last week, Verizon told Naral that it ‘does not accept issue-oriented (abortion, war, etc.) programs — only basic, general politician-related programs (Mitt Romney, Hillary Clinton, etc.).’” (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/28/business/28verizon.html)

Thus, contrary to Mr. Glass’ claims, Verizon rejected (and not only “delayed”) issuing an SMS short code to Naral based on an existing content policy. This decision was not the “result of an employee’s misconduct” “in violation of company policy”. When the New York Times contacted Verizon to investigate the story, the company officially confirmed the decision through a spokesperson, who justified the decision by reference to the content policy. Given these facts, I think it is legitimate to use this incident as an example of a network provider who blocks content that does not comply with the network provider’s chosen content policy.

After the incident had made the front page of the New York Times and caused a public outcry, Verizon changed its mind and reversed its original decision (a development my article mentions in footnote d) on p. 32). In a statement following the reversal, Jeffrey Nelson, the same spokesperson who, a few days ago, had defended Verizon’s rejection of Naral’s request based on Verizon’s existing content policy, now framed the incident as “an incorrect interpretation of a dusty internal policy” that “was designed to ward against communications such as anonymous hate messaging and adult materials sent to children” and that had been developed “before text messaging protections such as spam filters adequately protected customers from unwanted messages.” (Statement issued by Jeffrey Nelson, as cited by the New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/28/business/28verizon.html) Given Verizon’s public statements immediately after the rejection, these subsequent attempts to control the damage by re-interpreting what happened do not change the interpretation of the original incident that my article describes.

In addition to the Verizon/Naral story, my article points to a second case in which a company deleted content based on the company’s content policy. In this incident, “AT&T deleted words from a Webcast of a Pearl Jam concert in which the singer criticized George W. Bush” (CACM article, p. 32). The deleted words were “George Bush, leave the World alone” and “George Bush, find yourself another home.” (InformationWeek, http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201310731 ).

According to Mr. Glass, my article mischaracterizes this incident, because “AT&T received the broadcast in this form from a third party and was not responsible for the editing.”

This does not accurately describe what happened. AT&T streams the web casts through a streaming portal called Blue Room. Since the website is open to all age groups, AT&T tries to remove “excessive profanity” and “nudity” from the web casts. In an interview with InformationWeek following the blocking, AT&T spokesman Michael Coe described the practice as follows: "We work with an agency to work with festival to secure rights for broadcast," he said. "This is obviously not a core competency for A&T. They hire Web monitors. The live concerts, when streamed into the Blue Room, are not age-restricted, meaning anyone of any age can enter the Blue Room. They are told only to edit for excessive profanity, not really for the songs, but the banter going on between band members or band members and the audience, as well as any nudity that can arise."
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201310731

Thus, there was a content policy (i.e. “edit for excessive profanity and nudity”) established by AT&T, and this content policy was enforced by “Web monitors.” The fact that these “Web monitors” were hired by an agency acting on behalf of AT&T, not by AT&T itself, does not really make a difference. They were still acting on behalf of (and following instructions by) AT&T.

After the blocking had happened, AT&T immediately characterized the incident as a “mistake.” “We regret the error”, a spokesperson said in an interview with the LA Times technology blog. ”There was no profanity. It was a mistake.” (http://opinion.latimes.com/bitplayer/2007/08/att-drops-pearl.html ) Thus, AT&T did not deny the fact that there was a content policy, but claimed that the content policy had been applied in the wrong way (because it was a political statement, not profanity).

Does this affect the relevance of the incident for the network neutrality debate? I don’t think so. In a world without network neutrality rules, network providers are free to adopt content policies such as the ones described above. This may create two types of problems: First, the content policies themselves may prevent end users from accessing certain content and affected content producers from reaching their audience, as in the Verizon example. In addition, enforcement of the content policy may result in (deliberate or inadvertent) misclassifications, resulting in the exclusion of additional content. In other words, mistakes in enforcing the content policy are a foreseeable consequence of a regime that allows network providers to pursue content policies in the first place.

At the same time, the impact of content blocking on Internet service customers’ ability to listen or speak is the same, regardless of whether the blocking is based on a correct or incorrect application of the content policy: “If I am interested in content that my network provider has chosen to restrict, my ability to educate myself, contribute to a discussion on this subject, and make informed decisions is impeded. Instead, ISPs gain the power to shape public discourse based on their own interests and idiosyncratic content policies.” (CACM article, p. 32) Thus, by showing that misclassifications do indeed happen, the AT&T case illustrates one of the potential harmful consequences of content policies.

Finally, Mr. Glass argues that the last two examples (Verizon/AT&T) are irrelevant for the network neutrality debate, because neither Verizon nor AT&T were acting as ISPs. This argument is explicitly addressed in my article: “While the latter two examples are not direct examples of ISPs restricting content on their networks (Verizon Wireless restricted a service on its wireless mobile network, not the wireless Internet, while AT&T acted in its role as a content provider, not as ISP), it is easy to imagine virtually identical incidents in which an ISP enacts a content policy and restricts content on its network accordingly.” (CACM article, p. 32) Thus, while the actual incidents happened in a slightly different context, they illustrate the type of blocking that network neutrality proponents are concerned about.

Barbara van Schewick
--
Barbara van Schewick
Assistant Professor of Law and (by Courtesy) Electrical Engineering

Crown Quadrangle
559 Nathan Abbott Way
Stanford, CA 94305-8610

Phone:  650-723 8340