Interesting People mailing list archives

osed data retention law WAS Republicans propose data retention laws etc

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:17:48 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: February 22, 2009 1:30:37 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: osed data retention law WAS Republicans propose data retention laws etc

So is every home wifi user going to be trained (at taxpayer expense)
on how to set up logging on their wifi devices?

Don't worry -- I'm sure that vendors will preconfigure such devices to
send the logging data to some appropriate government agency, which
would promise *never* to look at it without a warrant.

Not to mention, most
home-use wifi devices/access points don't have the storage
capability to support such prolonged data retention.

Given that they already have flash for configuration data and firmware
updates, and given how ubiquitous and large flash chips are, I'm not
sure that that argument is very defensible, especially going forward.
Remember that the goal is to log DHCP lease assignments, not full
traffic or email logs.  At least, that's the goal for now...