Interesting People mailing list archives

SCANNING LICENSE PLATES

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:46:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Matt Murray <mattm () optonline net>
Date: February 21, 2009 9:26:29 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: mattm () optonline net
Subject: SCANNING LICENSE PLATES

From today's Hartford Courant.
Matt Murray

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-platescanner0221.artfeb21,0,4703882.story

SCANNING LICENSE PLATES
 An Electronic Eye On Scofflaws
 By BILL LEUKHARDT
 bleukhardt () courant com
Here’s what a cash cow looks like— atruckwithtwo shoe-box-size black boxes with red camera lenses mounted on the hood. Last year, New Haven put four of these vehicles on its 127 miles of city roads, scanning the license plates of parked and moving vehicles. The targets were cars registered to motor vehicle tax deadbeats and parking ticket scofflaws. Offenders’ vehicles were seized, not to be returned until their debts were paid.
  The take for 2008?
More than $2.7 million in back taxes, tickets and penalties. Not bad for an investment of about $100,000 for cameras, computer databases and equipment, said C.J. Cuticello, New Haven’s tax collector. “That’s a pretty good return,” Cuticello said Thursday after announcing the resumption of the program, sidelined for three months by winter. The city estimates that there is at least $2 million in back car taxes and parking tickets to collect from deadbeats this year. New Haven was the first municipality in the state to launch such a program, beginning it in 2004 and honing it into an aggressive moneymaker. Now New Britain and other Connecticut cities are considering similar programs to raise more revenue during a deepening recession. In January, New Britain’s common council approved spending $21,000 to buy a plate scanner to hunt for scofflaws, and to give police a tool to find cars reported missing or plates reported stolen. Meriden, Danbury and West Haven officials contacted New Haven in recent years to learn about the city’s revenue collection system, Cuticello said. Bridgeport and Hartford have already started their versions of this plate-scanner program. Others are in the works. West Haven is preparing to launch its program, hoping to rake in a large chunk of the estimated $3.7 million owed in delinquent motor vehicle taxes. “We’re trying to maximize revenue,” said Robert Sandella, West Haven’s collector of delinquent taxes. “We looked at this program a few years ago, but the city had other issues at the time. We revisited it six months ago. We’re about to kick off a media campaign to let taxpayers know about it.” It’s obvious why municipalities are on a money hunt these days with foreclosures, layoffs and budget cuts eroding revenue, said Kevin Maloney, a spokesman for the Connecticut Conference of Municipalities, a lobbying group representing about 150 of the state’s 169 cities and towns. “Generally, I think you’ll see more of this type of activity, with the downturn in the economy and struggle to keep state aid,” Maloney said. “You’re seeing a lot of towns looking for ways to increase revenue without increasing property taxes.” Some police departments already have plate scanners but only for criminal investigations, such as hunting for stolen cars. Norwalk police recently ordered two of the cameras for its department. Law enforcement was the initial use for these devices, first deployed by police a decade ago in Great Britain, and now used by an estimated 1,000 U.S. police departments, according to security industry reports. Large departments using plate scanners include New York, Ohio and Arizona state police and police in Denver, Tampa, Fla., Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. When Cuticello saw a plate scanner field-tested in 2004 in New Haven, he saw how helpful the technology could be for tax collection, a use suggested by the device’s manufacturer. The test quickly found cars whose owners owed $1,010 in back taxes, he recalled. “Before this program, our collection rate was in the 80 percent range. Now we’re at 98 percent,” he said. New Britain Mayor Timothy Stewart said he was convinced of the potential when a five-minute test of the scanner flagged three cars downtown registered to scofflaws. New Britain deadbeats owe nearly $1 million in unpaid parking tickets and nearly $16 million in overdue car taxes dating back 15 years, so the chances of making money are good. The scanner hasn’t been ordered yet. Stewart said that city lawyers are drafting policies to cover use of the scanner for revenue collection and criminal investigations.
  He does not want police to act as bill collectors.
New Britain Police Chief William Gagliardi said that the scanner’s ability to check dozens of plates a minute makes it easier for an officer to find stolen plates and missing cars or vehicles wanted in connection with a crime.
  “There are legitimate policing functions for those cameras.
When we run into vehicles [whose owners owe] back taxes and parking tickets, we will refer those to the tax department and other appropriate city agencies to follow up,” Gagliardi said. The scanner’s database allows the device to be a Swiss Army knife- type of tool with many uses. It can contain various lists of plates from law enforcement, city finance and other sources, the chief said. Joseph Faughnan, Clinton’s police chief, said that his department field-tested a plate scanner last November and December for the manufacturer and found it to be an amazing investigative machine. “The number of cars it can screen is phenomenal,” said Faughnan, whose department cannot afford to buy one. “You could never do this amount of work with 10 cops on a corner.” Cities deploying the devices say they are mindful of civil liberties. In New Haven, the scanning vehicles do not go onto private property. As for invasion of privacy concerns, police say the devices are just a faster way to do what cops do daily — run license plates. Some police departments using the devices purge the data after 30 days. Matthew Reimondo, police chief in East Hampton and president of the Connecticut Police Chiefs Association, said that any municipality getting one of these devices shouldn’t let police use it in any way that blurs the line between civil revenue collection and criminal police investigation. “We don’t collect those taxes. We’re not an arm of that agency,” Reimondo said. “These are the kinds of legal issues raised by cutting-edge technology.”
Copyright © 2009 Hartford Courant 02/21/2009