Interesting People mailing list archives

Good Luck Banning Math (Again)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:54:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chuck Brownstein <charles.brownstein () verizon net>
Date: February 20, 2009 1:30:54 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: of likely interest

http://haftofthespear.com/

Good Luck Banning Math (Again)
I’ve got a lot of respect for Kurtz and the folks who have been attempting to address these issues for the past several years, but I think at least part of this strategy largely a waste of time.

Kurtz says cyberweapons require a deterrence policy, and to successfully deter an attack, you first need a capability to trace the origin of the attack. “I would argue that we need an active capability to trace back attacks,” which requires the collaboration among industry, law enforcement, and the intelligence community, he said. Then cyberweapons can be developed and potentially used to “suppress the use of kinetic weaponry.”

I mean, we already tried banning math once before and look how well that turned out.

Single coordinating body for response to cyber attack? Great idea. Systems and methods for helping achieve a level of attribution sufficient to respond, tough problem, but sure, I’m down with that too. What I don’t understand is how people think the deterrence or non- proliferation models are going to work in cyberspace. There is no Geiger counter for malcode. You can’t send inspectors in to see if a nation’s “peaceful software development lab” isn’t really a front for cyber weapons. Hello?! Some of the most powerful and successful such weapons have been developed and employed by non-state actors. Are we going to treat every computer science graduate as a potential e-A.Q. Kahn? Because that’s

<snip>