Interesting People mailing list archives

re The Killer App of 1900

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:56:36 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia.cmu () gmail com>
Date: December 16, 2009 8:51:48 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] The Killer App of 1900

Dave,

For IP Consideration, though I've already shared this with another group :)

A few brief observations (I've written about broadband as a utility, or at least the fiber so competition can be at higher layers...background disclaimer)

1) Utility type services are mostly regulated. In return for guaranteed returns and relatively low risk, the provider *must* provide services within their territory - unlike cell phones where if you don't have coverage at your house, you can try to switch carriers, or switch homes.

2) Utility type services inevitably have an element of cross- subsidy. Electricity rates for all homes in a coverage area are the same, regardless of home, apartment, mountain shack, etc. (there are variances for industry, commercial, etc.). Trying to make a system where everybody pays their "fair" cost is tricky for several reasons, beyond transaction costs. (a) The answer changes changes all the time (need a very dynamic system); (b) The issues are often very local; (c) Most importantly, the issues of average versus marginal costs [latter lower, and MUCH lower in the broadband world] have multiple models of cost allocation, each with their tradeoffs.

That said, I am happy with a regulated fiber utility with cross- subsidies so everyone (or, say, 98 or 99% of homes) can get it. We could have competition at different layers. Using the road analogy, we don't build 3 roads in the name of competition. Ford/GM/Toyota compete (or we hope they do); DHL, FedEx, and UPS compete, etc. Contractors compete to fill potholes, etc.

Rahul