Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: ATT suggests heavy data users overloading cell sites, must stop or pay?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:11:56 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

Bob,

You actually read the agreement!  I refrain from doing so for a couple
of reasons;   First, IANAL and I don't think that I can properly interpret the
terms of the agreement.  There is a close correspondence to the
English language, but its not identical.  Second, whatever I do understand,
or think I understand, in these agreements makes me want to throw up.
Again, IANAL, and I understand that legal, ethical and moral are all
separate concepts,  but I find it hard to reconcile my understanding of
right and wrong with current practice.  Who really thinks that they have
any practical choice wrt click through agreements?  Perhaps future
generations will reconsider this practice and replace it with something
reasonable for both sides of the agreement.  I'm embarrassed that my
generation has developed, deployed and accepted this way of doing
business.  Of course, some will respond, "But everyone does it this
way.".  My point exactly.

For the record I have no expectation of suing or being sued over the
terms of the AT&T agreement, nor do I have much expectation that
I will have any influence over what policies that they adopt however
they may affect me.  My comments were intended to make the point
that they sold me unlimited service and that they have a different
definition of unlimited than Webster and the rest of us use.

        Cheers,

                ......Sid

P.S.  Dave:  OK for IP,  but probably not worth it.