Interesting People mailing list archives

re ATT suggests heavy data users overloading cell sites, must stop or pay?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:41:57 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mark Laubach <markmatmos () gmail com>
Date: December 12, 2009 1:04:52 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] ATT suggests heavy data users overloading cell sites, must stop or pay?

For IP if you want. Just my personal reaction to hearing this being an issue.

So why is AT&T whining at this? Well known issue in advance. I'm guessing either they are a bit behind demand on putting up infrastructure and want to shift attention to the "heavy users" (there will always be heavy users, duh..., dusting off the old blame envelopes from (B)ISDN?....) or they are posturing for wanting to change rates before allowing "tethering" (using the iPhone,
etc. as a data modem for the laptop?  Hmmm.

Just another data point on roadmap of what's steering the U.S. deeper
into the lackluster of the broadband wasteland. Come on telco, pick up your end of the capacity log and let's get a move on and stop with old whinging.

Reminds me of the old situation: you walk in to an establishment and order the all you can eat meal. After awhile, the owners say, well that's all you
can eat, now leave (or pay up).

Got an iPhone a few weeks ago due to recent situation of not being near
Internet access as often. Love it.  Just don't tell me the Ministry of
Telecomm Truth is changing the definition of "unlimited".....

Mark
ps. I was told in the Apple store that tethering is there technically, they [ATT]
just hasn't turned it on....