Interesting People mailing list archives

re: The last thing I need is to ever deal with Expedia again

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 18:25:27 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dennis Allison <drallison () gmail com>
Date: December 9, 2009 5:41:40 PM EST
To: travel () customercare expedia com
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Fwd: [IP] The last thing I need is to ever deal with Expedia again

*** FOR IP OR NOT, YOUR CHOICE***

I found Expedia's behavior described in the post below to be outrageous. Dave Farber is a long-time friend of mine and a myriad of others. This message was posted to the "Interesting-People" mailing list which has tens of thousands of members, mostly scientists, journalists, and policy makers, each influential in their own right and most frequent travellers. It is, for Expedia, a public relations disaster.

I was so angered that I took it upon myself to call Expedia customer service and see what could be done help to resolve the situation, I read the posting to the woman I spoke to, she indicated she was sorry but she could not do anything. I am not privy to the details of Dr. Farber's problem with the gift reservations he gave his son for at trip which must be rescheduled because his son's mother (and Dave's wife) is dying and in hospice. I suggested that she take a proactive role and call Dr. Farber and try to resolve the issues directly. She said that she could not do that. She could not provide a telephone number for Expedia's offices where I could talk with someone who could resolve the issues, whatever they may be. She recommended that I send the posting with a cover letter to travel () customercare expedia com and that it would be addressed promptly. So, that is what I am doing.

I am requesting that someone with the appropriate level of authority call Dr. Farber and facilitate the resolution of this problem. You will need to be responsive Dave's situation: it is a major stress to have a life partner in Hospice and likely to die in the near term and, at that point, need to deal with this kind of situation. If you take this kind of proactive action and resolve things to Dave's satisfaction (he is a reasonable guy), I am sure he will report that on Farber's list (as Interesting-People is known) and you'll recover some of your credibility with the readership.

Please confirm to me by email that a call has been made and that you are working to resolve Dave's problem. I am anxious to learn whether Expedia can step up to a situation of this sort and behave in a supportive fashion.

Dennis Allison
Computer Systems Laboratory
Stanford
allison () stanford edu
sent from my gmail account: drallison () gmail com