Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Internet still reshaping history ( with comment by the editor)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:54:18 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: December 7, 2009 4:33:42 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Internet still reshaping history ( with comment by the editor)

One more bit of history: the Farber DCS ring was used as inspiration for the design of the MIT token ring that my (Saltzer was my adviser) research group was working on. The design of our token ring was adopted by several vendors: IBM and by Proteon, and with a little variation, by Apollo Computer Corp. Saltzer himself conceived of the "star shaped" ring configuration that had "hubs" which facilitated physical reconfiguration by allowing splicing out of any individual portion of the ring with only microseconds of interruption, and IBM adopted that concept. Proteon was the first company to develop a multiprotocol router (Noel Chiappa was responsible for that).

The hub concept was later adapted to Ethernet, creating "twisted pair" Ethernet at PARC, and spun out to Synaptics, and though I don't know for sure, I'm pretty sure that Saltzer's invention of the hub idea was the primary inspiration.

So there is a huge tree of innovations that sprung out of just the DCS ring.