Interesting People mailing list archives

NTT DoCoMo to launch LTE services by end next year

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 11:02:54 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: December 5, 2009 12:48:34 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] NTT DoCoMo to launch LTE services by end next year

[Note:  This item comes from friend Esme Vos.  DLH]

NTT DoCoMo to launch LTE services by end next year
Softbank surprises with vision of complementary role WiFi in mobile web
by Ek Heng, Asia-Pacific Correspondent
Wed. December 2, 2009
<http://telecomengine.com/article.asp?HH_ID=AR_5965>

Two of Japan’s telcos shared insights into their strategies for the next generation mobile wireless at the recently completed GSMA Mobil e Asia Congress in November. NTT DoCoMo announced it was launching L ong Term Evolution (LTE) services in Japan without relying on HSPA+ as an interim measure. On the other hand, third largest player, Soft bank, revealed it was banking on WiFi to complement LTE to satisfy d ata intensive uses for next generation mobile networks and devices.

NTT DoCoMo’s president, Ryuhi Yamada told delegates at the congress that Japan’s largest telco was investing JPY300 billion (US$3.4 bill ion) to launch LTE services by December 2010. The telco is providing datacards initially targeting computer users with mobile phones sch eduled for delivery only in 2011. It will initiate coverage in areas of high demand as an overlay to its existing 3G network.

The telco aims turn off its 2G services in 2012. DoCoMo is banking on video services to boost income and it expects the introduction of LTE platform to lead to increased data traffic from current 42 percent to more than 50 percent.

While it was first worldwide to launch 3G WCDMA previously, DoCoMo wll be among early uses of LTE but it will be beaten to the pole position by other telcos with earlier starting date next year.

Softbank grows, CEO sees bigger role for WiFi in the scheme of things

At the mobile congress, Softbank’s CEO Masayoshi Son surprised deleg ates with his vision of the future foreseeing a role for WiFi to com plement mobile networks and devices which he said will not be able t o cope with future data-intensive demand.

Touching on the Japanese experience, he said that 50 percent of data traffic happens from home during peak periods which makes it ideal to harness WiFi technology. He added that 3G and 4G is the way to have blanket coverage but WiFi helps provide a richer experience. Saying that mobile, not the computer, will be the mainstay access the Internet, he declared that Softbank would invest aggressively in LTE but we ‘would need both WiFi and mobile’.

Adding personal insights, he said: “I come from the PC and internet business, so I used to use both all the time. After I got an iPhone, a year later my PC/internet usage dropped 95 percent.”

The telco recently introduced eight new ‘mobile WiFi handsets’ and it also owns a fixed broadband network to supply the backhaul to home WiFi customers.

[snip]RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>