Interesting People mailing list archives

Verizon AUP Policy

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:04:01 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Hoewing, C. L." <c.l.hoewing () verizon com>
Date: December 4, 2009 1:56:51 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Verizon AUP Policy

Dave:

Could you post on your listserve?

Thanks.

LINK

There has been some discussion – and criticism – about what some have mistakenly identified as a change to the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) for Verizon’s broadband service. In particular, the AUP has, for several years, contained language suggesting that Verizon would not allow its subscribers to cross-post “off-topic information on me ssage boards, chat rooms or social networking sites." Those comment ing on this language assume it means that Verizon is going to be mon itoring comments and interposing itself in some way as posts are sen t to blogs and other sites across the Internet. This is absolutely not the case.

First, the language in question has been in our AUP for many years. It was initially adopted in 2002 at a time when UseNet and listserves were usually unmoderated and cross-posting and off-topic posts were viewed as disruptive and even offensive (in fact, ISPs could even be shut off from connections to other sites if they allowed spam or major cross-posting. It was at the early stages of broadband deployment and growing use of the Internet for social and discussion purposes. The language was modified a bit in early 2008, but has remained unchanged since then.

Second, even though the provision has been in our AUP for several years, it hasn't resulted in any actions by Verizon against any subscriber. We have been been, and remain, committed to the FCC’s c onnectivity principles and statements we have made that we will not block, degrade or interfere with traffic.

Third, today’s blog sites and social networks have policies that gen erally guide comment postings. Most of these sites are moderated. V erizon on its Policy Blog, for example, has a comment policy but in general, all comments are posted. Only things like profanity raise flags.

After reviewing the comments about our AUP and looking at the language ourselves, we think its worth clarifying what we intend by our policy -- and what we don't intend by it. So we will be clarifying our AUP to address the concerns that have been raised recently about the potential for this language to be read more broadly than we intended. The policy applies to use of Verizon sites, not to third party blog, bulletin board and social networking sites.

Link Hoewing
Vice President
Internet and Technology Policy
Verizon