Interesting People mailing list archives

Google launches privacy Dashboard service

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:47:41 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karen <Karen () edu-cyberpg com>
Date: December 4, 2009 10:35:45 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Google launches privacy Dashboard service

What about this?

Predictions for DNS 2010: Google Will Own ISP DNS; knows everything you do http://www.centernetworks.com/predictions-for-google-dns-2010
Google Will Own ISP DNS
It’s simple – most Internet providers will outsource their DNS functions to Google. I predict that this will happen by the end of J une 2010. Google has the cash and will make it super sweet for the I SPs to switch. This will also help Google take the main market share for DNS. Changing your DNS servers on your computer is not that eas y and most Internet users will never do it. But if Google partners w ith say Comcast or Time Warner, they can make the change at the serv er level and it will be done automatically. The ISPs get major cash, Google gets the overwhelming share of the DNS function and users ne ver know anything changed.

Introducing Google Public DNS
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/introducing-google-public-dns.html
12/03/2009 08:35:00 AM
When you type www.wikipedia.org into your browser's address bar, you expect nothing less than to be taken to Wikipedia. Chances are you're not giving much thought to the work being done in the background by the Domain Name System, or DNS. Today, as part of our ongoing effort to make the web faster, we're launching our own public DNS resolver called Google Public DNS, and we invite you to try it out.

What is Google Public DNS?

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
Google Public DNS is a free, global Domain Name System (DNS) resolution service, that you can use as an alternative to your current DNS provider.
To try it out:
Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers or
Read our configuration instructions.

--
Karen
Educational CyberPlayGround