Interesting People mailing list archives

More on Deutsche Telekom

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:41:32 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "J. Scott Marcus" <scott () SCOTTMARCUS COM>
Date: December 4, 2009 8:28:02 AM EST
To: CYBERTELECOM-L () LISTSERV AOL COM
Subject: More on Deutsche Telekom

As promised. The European coverage is much more coherent:
http://www.euractiv.com/en/infosociety/eu-court-sets-precedent-germany-telecoms-ruling/article-188017?_print

"... In what the European Commission is calling a precedent-setting case, Germany has been told to stop giving its dominant telecoms operator, a former state-run monopoly, so-called regulatory holidays – a relaxation of competition rules. The ruling concerns a German l aw that entered into force in 2006, which, according to the Commissi on, allowed Deutsche Telekom to bypass EU rules on regulation. The C ommission's rules, bolstered last month with the adoption of a new t elecoms package, say markets must be subject to 'a solid, independen t analysis by the national regulatory authority'. However, the Germa n law foresaw such an analysis 'only in exceptional circumstances,' allowing Deutsche Telekom to prevent competitors from accessing to i ts new high-speed broadband network. ..."

=====

The ruling (have only skimmed it) is available at:
http://curia.europa.eu/jurisp/cgi-bin/form.pl?lang=en&alljur=alljur&jurcdj=jurcdj&jurtpi=jurtpi&jurtfp=jurtfp&numaff=&nomusuel=germany&docnodecision=docnodecision&allcommjo=allcommjo&affint=affint&affclose=affclose&alldocrec=alldocrec&docor=docor&docav=docav&docsom=docsom&docinf=docinf&alldocnorec=alldocnorec&docnoor=docnoor&radtypeord=on&newform=newform&docj=docj&docop=docop&docnoj=docnoj&typeord=ALL&domaine=&mots=&resmax=100&Submit=Rechercher

See also:
http://www.faz.net/s/RubD16E1F55D21144C4AE3F9DDF52B6E1D9/Doc~E7C493B1784EB4AC69A7DEE6B69F6C768~ATpl~Ecommon~Scontent.html

This last says (my translation): "... The judge declared that Berlin had constrained the competence of the Bundesnetzagentur as the responsible regulatory authority in an impermissible way with the law."

Once again, thanks to Rich for posting this. Crazy that I have to get my European news from US mailing lists and the Times!