Interesting People mailing list archives

Comcast Launches Data Usage Meter

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:27:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jason Livingood <jason_livingood () cable comcast com>
Date: December 1, 2009 12:01:29 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Comcast Launches Data Usage Meter

Dave - For IP if you wish:

Today we announced the start of a pilot market deployment of our data usage meter for our High-Speed Internet Service. This deployment begins today for customers in Portland, Oregon. We announced this on our blog (at http://blog.comcast.com/2009/12/comcast-data-usage-meter-launches.html ), on our network management page (at http://networkmanagement.comcast.net and http://networkmanagement.comcast.net/datausagemeter.htm) in an email to customers in the pilot market sent today, and on two web forums (our own at http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=5&thread.id=114335 and Broadband Reports at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23419689-Data-Usage-Meter-Launched ). An extensive list of FAQs can be found on our help site, as the index updates (at http://sitesearch.comcast.com/?q=data+usage+meter&cat=ccentral ).

Since we know many of our customers will be curious about how the usage meter works, we commissioned an independent analysis of the usage meter by NetForecast, Inc. Their report on the system is available on their website (at http://netforecast.com/documents/NFR5101_Comcast_Usage_Meter_Accuracy.pdf ).

The pilot market deployment follows employee testing of the meter this past summer. We selected Portland because it is an area where we have a single Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) platform, enabling us to control for that variable in the pilot (many markets have several different CMTS platforms).

Customers can view the usage meter by logging into Customer Central (at http://customer.comcast.com) and clicking on the “Users and Sett ings” tab. From there, click on “View details” in the “My devices” section (located toward the upper right hand of the screen) and that will go to the meter page. You can see what the usage mete r looks like at http://networkmanagement.comcast.net/datausagemeter.jpg .

Our systems update the meter approximately every three hours, and it displays in whole Gigabytes (GB), shown over a calendar month (not a billing cycle) rounded down to the nearest GB.

Much more detail can be found in the forum and Network Management page links noted above.

Regards
Jason Livingood
Internet Systems Engineering
Comcast