Interesting People mailing list archives

re TSA overreaction to Delta incident

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 13:55:48 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ridgely Evers <rce () evers org>
Date: December 27, 2009 1:55:10 PM EST
To: Farber David <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] TSA overreaction to Delta incident

This system is not merely broken, it is horribly ill-conceived.

Oh, and it doesn't work. At all. No even at creating the illusion of security.

I flew out of IAD the other day and counted no less than 24 TSA employees engaged in "screening" a trickle of passengers. They were focused on the trivial stuff, and wearing a groove so narrow in security procedures as to make the old night watchmen's schedule look positively creative.

I've always loved Esther Dyson's signature tagline, "Always make new mistakes" -- a mindset that the TSA would do well to adopt.

--Ridge

Begin forwarded message: